Thursday, December 4, 2008

Christmas Traditions at our families house

These are a few things that we did for Christmas that are a big memory for me.
1. Christmas breakfast. I loved growing up with the big breakfast and we still get together for it with the whole family.
2. Moms christmas tree. I think that there are over 1000 ornaments on it and it is sometimes a pain to put up because each year there are more ornaments added but in the end it looks really cute.
3. Presents from mom and dad to the grandchildren. They love to buy Sunday clothes for the kids and they are always wonderful. Whatever grandma and Grandpa pick out will be wonderful whether it is Sunday clothes or not because they are very choosy for each child.
4. Christmas music. We don't have that so much anymore but I remember the great big 6album Christmas record sets that we got from Readers Digest and we would listen to the music all day on the great big stereo in the living room.
5. Christmas lights at temple square. We went up every year to see the lights. Cold and beautiful.
6. Christmas eve drive. Every Christmas eve driving to all the christmas lanes to see the decorated houses and read the stories. That was so fun and Doug and I keep saying that it would be so fun to get one going out here in Stansbury.
7. Crystal. The beautiful crystal pieces that mom gets every year. I love them.
8. Dads green chile and tortillas and we can't forget the tamales. This is traditional and I have been practicing up on making it a tradition in our home because it is so special to me. I love the smell when you walk in the door to mom and dads, you know it's a special day.
9. The little Christmas village on the big stereo. I could sit there all day staring into those houses. The cotton sparkly snow and the little plastic trees. I loved them and was really sad when they were no longer able to be a part of Christmas.
10. I have to add the nativity. I played with that thing daily. I loved how all the figurines had olive colored skin, I feel that made them more real to what the nativity was like. I remember moving them around all the time and the next day they would be back where they were supposed to be. I have a very small, cheap nativity and everyday, Brinley puts them lined up from tall to small and every evening I put them back in the correct places. What a tradition.
Just a few things but all very important to me.

3 comments:

The DeGiulio's said...

That was fun to read all your traditions. You have a lot of fun and special ones. I bet your moms tree is so fun with all those different ornaments.

Alisa said...

Your traditions are so warm and beautiful. Wont it be fun one day to hear from our kids what their favorite Christmas traditions were growing up? - and we parents may not have even been aware of the impact they had on our kids at the time :)

Miriam Lee said...

Timmerie, I loved reading the traditions!! We also grew up rearranging the nativity every day!! My parents had the same nativity for almost 40 years!! I'm happy to say that I am now the proud owner of the family nativity I grew up with. Last year Ellie had her little nativty arranged so that every persona nd animal were in a circle around the baby Jesus!! It was so sweet!! Now I think I want to do a post all on my nativities--maybe I will.
P.S. Your family picture is BEAUTIFUL!!!!