You know when you plan something out and you go through it over and over in your head and get so excited for the outcome that you are giddy? I did that! I planned our summer vacation for our family to head to the happiest place on earth and couldn't wait until the tickets got here. I also couldn't wait until we could tell the kids about the big surprise.Well, tonight after dinner we had a family meeting. We all gave suggestions of where we would like to go. Lincoln suggested Connecticut, why, I have no idea. Brinley wanted to go on a hike and go swimming. Okay, I guess.
After a few minutes of suggestions, I brought out these cute travel tags and handed them out. There were no screams of excitement, there were no big smiles, there was simply silence. We asked the kids how they felt and Brinley said that she misses her cousins and friends. Lincoln said that he would rather go to Washington DC and see the white house or go to New York or possibly do the Disney cruise ship because that's where all the fun is. After I tried to add some excitement by telling him that we are going for 2 whole days, he wanted to know if we could just spend one whole day sitting in the hotel room. I decided to read the fun list of rides to them and told them about the fireworks, jedi training, and the goofy dinner that we will attend. At this point, he got furious and said he felt like hitting us for planning this.
Well at this point, the whole plan of excitement was ruined and Doug (with a very red face) sent Lincoln to his room and Brinley stood there still pouting about missing her friends and cousins. Doug loudly exclaimed (per Doug, he did not scream), that we will take other people that want to go to Disneyland with us and leave the kids with cousins and they can't play their cousins WII the whole time we are gone. Then he put the tickets away.
Needless to say, the mood in this house is not what I had envisioned.
What a magical experience we have had this evening! Some days I have to wonder why I put any effort into anything I do.
For the record, I will not be going to Connecticut and I will not spend one whole day sitting in the hotel room. (atleast not with family in tow)
Have a Magical Terrific Day!






8 comments:
Ah, the disappointment! Who would have guessed? I guess kids are never predictable... that's one reason why I'm dreading selecting Cora's birthday presents this year. I could meet you at Disney Land, we would have a great time!
Oh I feel your pain!!! What is it with our kids feeling so entitled to life that it takes a personal parade and CONNETICUT to please them!!! I have planned many a fun event that I thought would be fabulous for the kids----and there was no excitement. Just whining!!! Aaaaahhhhh!!!
I want to go to Disney Land! I have wanted to go ever since I left there 23 years ago. Can I come? How about a girls vacation, leaving the kids at home. Oh, I guess you & Terrah would be the kids and I would be the OLD person. I still want to go! Sorry about the kids reaction! Tell them about walking to school uphill both ways in the snow. That will make them happy to go to the happiest place on earth!
Ooooohhh. Sorry for their reaction. Tell Doug that lil Johnny Zenes would love to go with him to Disneyland. He insists that we are taking a family trip there this summer. And quite honestly, I have no desire to go myself. So I can pack his bags and you pack Linc and Brinleys and we can trade "kids".
Omgoodness! I about cried half way through this. This is such a bummer. I'm sure the second they step into that magical place they will forget all about Connecticut.
You both are fantastic parents. I think that is adorable that you had the tickets in the cute little times. Very creative. One day they will look back and be just as impressed as I am.
Timmerie, Timmerie, Timmerie! Have I taught you nothing? You just take the kids and let them find out when they get there - "Surprise!!! And you better be happy and enjoy it, darn it!!!"
Oh Timmer, I'm so sorry but I'm laughing my head off about Connecticut! You can always count on kids to throw a wrench in the works. They will love it, there's no way NOT to.
I still am speechless. I laugh and cry everytime I read this. So sorry they messed up your fun but buck up mom and have a wonderful time. Love you
Post a Comment