I told Lincoln that I would drive him to school the first day and then he could ride the bus home with his 2 friends and I would meet him at the bus stop. Well, as I was driving him to school, he noticed the kids at the bus stop (not his 2 friends) and said that he had to ride the bus. I turned around and parked at the bus stop and Lincoln jumped out. He waved goodbye and was already across the street sitting on the curb with the rest of the kids. Once in a while he would look at me and wave but mostly, he just felt big. I held up well due to the fact that there were all those kids there and I didn't need them to see me crying. The bus came about ten minutes later, he got on and left. That was it. No going to the school, walking him to his class, taking a picture, nothing. That is how he wanted it.
The second day, Brinley and I rode our bikes with Lincoln to the bus stop and waited for the bus with him and he asked why I had to be there? He is only 5 years old. The other mothers of the 5 year olds were there, why couldn't I be there also? We met Lincoln at the bus stop after school and he ran to his bike, got on and went home. We got home about 5 minutes after him. He loves us!
Today I let him ride his bike and Brinley and I went up in the truck and parked across the street to make sure he was safe. The other mothers stood with their children, he made it on the bus. We again met him at the bus stop after school but this time I had the camera ready for when he got off the bus and actually got 2 pictures before he was on his bike and we were eating his dust.
I think that Lincoln is a little more independant than I thought he would be. I hope I didn't cramp his style. We will see how Mr. Independant does through out the school year. I have now learned from this past couple of days that it's ok to take a step back.
Just a little side note: Brinley ran up and gave Lincoln a hug everytime he got off the bus. She sure does miss him when he is at school.






5 comments:
Oh, Timmerie. I feel your pain. I still have an entire year to go until Zeke starts Kindergarton and I'm already really sad about it. They grow up too fast! I can't believe Lincoln is so brave about it! Kind of sad for you, but good for him I guess. Don't worry - I don't think you cramped his style too much! I'm sure he loves that you're there, even if he pretends he doesn't. :)
Hooray for Lincoln! Can't wait to hear about his Kindergarten adventures. (I always liked the independent ones :)
I know how you feel. Sending your kids to school is TOUGH!
I can't believe Lincoln is already starting kindergarten. It seems like just the other day we were a Walmart trying to get Thanksgiving dinner in the cart while you were in labor. Those little loved ones just grow up way too fast. You didn't let me take you either. Eric and Andy stopped by and you went with them And I cried. Love you SUPER MOM!!!
I know just how you feel. I drive Joseph to school in the morning and he looks around to make sure no one is looking before he will even kiss me goodbye. I told him that if he does not kiss me goodbye, that I will come into his class room and kiss him in front of all his friends. So he has shaped up a bit. I know it is hard sending them off to school, if you cried at kindergarden, you will be just fine with 1st grade.
Lauren
Post a Comment